Sunday, January 20, 2008

Centre

Much of what I do begins in the office, with me at a desk, making phone calls and sending e-mails. I am only just starting to put into practice what I have known to be true from a lifetime of connection and relationship with people in full-time ministry; the main thrust is that God absolutely has to be at the centre.

It is odd to find myself actually feeling things I have heard all about from various pastors and missionaries. Like I’ve had the answer for years but am only just learning what the questions are—like a really off game of jeopardy.

God has to be at the centre. He has to be a focal point, because it’s too easy to spend all of my time in anxiety, trudging through what has potential to be quite discouraging work. It’s those moments which stretch out between truth, like the flat line between the heart beat, when I need to be still and know that He is God…that He Is. And I find Him in the proud stretch of the sea on the Portstewart Strand, and the hiding places in the cliffs at Montana de Oro, and especially just at the perfect corner table at a lovely café with free wi-fi.

My God doesn’t need nature or cafés to communicate with me, He speaks to me through work and through strangers and in transit. But all those nice things help me to keep my focus on Him, they help me to remember kindness, self-sacrifice, and power. Most of all, they help me to begin my days, and my work, with Moses’ Yahweh, rather than with my e-mail. For all of creation sings His praises, and I am without excuse.


In the next week or so, I will post blogs frequently about the ministries I’m involved in. I won’t post it all at once because you likely won’t read it. In fact, if you read it at all, you’re probably in the top 1% of my readers. Cheers…and thanks for your support.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, I'm the 1%! If only we could remember to keep God in the center of everything. It would change our world. I pray for that everyday.

Anonymous said...

Love the way God ties all the details together. I'm in a study "Five Aspects of Womanhood"#4=Lifegiver. All woman in some way are nutureing life, thus lifegivers. EAch aspect is discussed from the view of Created . . . Fallen . . .and redeemed . . .One point just studied is the redeemed lifegiver keeps her focus on the Lord, a "sort of Biblical Lamaze".
Then reading your post reminded me of this aspect, and John Piper's line that goes something like,"Can I /do I glorify God while drinking orange juice? Yes, begin the day with Yahweh, rather than email!
Love the way you write! So blessed!

Anonymous said...

Megs, Wow! I've really been enjoying your blog, but "Centre" grabbed my heart - what a delight! Of course, your banana blog brought smiles to all (Yes, Virginia, Bananas are good food!).
Still prayin' for ya, XO, Pittmom

Anonymous said...

"in fact if you read it at all you're in the top 1% of my readers"

Does this mean that 99% of you're readers don't read at all? They only look at the non-existant pictures? Just wondering.

Unknown said...

"and especially just at the perfect corner table at a lovely café with free wi-fi."

That's my lovely cafe!!!!!

I miss having you in the perfect corner table.